The British Academy of Film and Television Arts or BAFTA were held last Sunday. The BAFTA Awards are the British version of the Oscars. So let’s see what the fashion was like across the pond, shall we? Here are the good, the bad, and the blah of the 2009 BAFTA Awards…
- Freida Pinto was pretty in pink in the Oscar de la Renta gown from the 2009 Resort Collection. The Slumdog Millionaire star looked gorgeous and glamorous. Sparkly Jimmy Choo’s and 18th centuary Fred Leighton jewelry were the perfect touch.
- Marisa Tomei looked like a Greek Goddess in a gorgeous Etro. The gown is from the Etro Spring 09 collection.
- Emma Watson wore floor-length Alice Temperley gown in black – the color choice of the night. The dress had the Temperley trademark embroidered neckline to keep it interesting. Emma wore her hair in undone plaits and had on fresh makeup that played up her eyes. The whole look was very age appropriate.
- Penelope Cruz walked down the red carpet in the rain in a black halter velvet Azzedine Alaia gown. Now, why would I put this in with the bad? Well, because, she practically wore the same thing to the 2009 SAG awards – a black halter velvet gown. Would it kill her to mix it up a bit?
- Alesha Dixon’s dress is just too much. There’s too much going on and as a result she stood out too much. Normally that wouldn’t be bad thing, however, her job as the host of E! Live from the Red Carpet was to interview celebrities and as a general not upstage or draw attention away from the person she is interviewing. And even if she wasn’t reporting on the red carpet, the dress still is a little too busy. I also didn’t like the plain black headband that she wore – it didn’t go with the outfit.
- Angelina Jolie chose a black knee length Armani Prive gown instead of a billowy drop waist dress that she’s been favoring of late – Thank God. The dress had a flash of yellow to make the LBD a little more interesting. And while the dress looks nice, and her hair and makeup was nice (and Brad looks good), there was just something missing…
- Thandie Newton’s vintage black and gold strapless dress was nice, but it was missing a wow factor. And it’s giving me a serious case of deja vu – I’ve seen that dress before, I just don’t remember where.
- Kate Winslet’s black Zac Posen mermaid gown is reminiscent of the blue Narciso Rodriguez gown she wore to the 09 SAG Awards. Does she look good? Yes. But we’ve already seen her in that look.